Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Favorite Superhero


I went to a graphic novel discussion group and someone asked me who my favorite superhero was and I didn't have an answer. I thought I must have one so I spent a few hours compiling a list of my favorite comic book characters. Here they are.

DC: Supergirl
DC: OMAC - One Man Army Corp
DC: Kamandi the Last boy on Earth
DC: Terra from Teen Titans
DC: Sgt Rock
DC: The Shadow
DC: Flint from Star Hunters
DC: Legion of Super Heroes:
* Ultra Boy
* Wildfire
* Timberwolf
* Mon-El
* Sun Boy
* Cosmic Boy
* Star Boy
* Brainiac 5
Marvel: Punisher
Marvel: IronFist
Marvel: Deathlock
Marvel: Killraven
Epic: Vanth Dreadstar
Epic: Galacia 9 from Starstruck
Charlton: E-Man
Charlton: Rog 2000
Charlton: Magnus Robot Fighter 4000 AD
Eclipse: Mai the Psychic Girl (Manga)
Eclipse: Appleseed (Manga)
* Deunan Knute
* Briareos Hecatonchires
Viz: Alita Battle Angel (Manga)
Viz: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Manga)
First: Nexus
Caliber: The Crow

My top favorite comic characters of all time are all from Charlton


E-Man












Rog 2000 (originally a backup feature to E-man)














Magnus Robot Fighter 4000 AD

But I have say Rog 2000 is my all time favorite comic book character.










Marvel's Punisher is my 4th favorite. I bought Marvel Preview #2 in 1975 when I was 12. His first appearance is in Amazing Spider-Man #129 (Feb. 1974) which I bought at the time and read but it's the more adult comic magazine of Marvel Preview #2 in 1975 when I was 12 that blew me away. Check out how graphic the cover is!


This is his first solo appearance and yet it's pretty much ignored. Marvel.com doesn't list it as one of his appearances. Wikipedia has a minor mention since it's the first time his origin is explained.






Back to my favorite super hero ... my favorites are ...


Marvel: Punisher


DC: OMAC - One Man Army Corp













DC: Legion of Superheroes: Wildfire (fave LSH)












And the winner is ... Punisher from Marvel Preview #2. I have bought a lot of Punisher comics since but nothing compares to Marvel Preview #2 for me. That is the real Punisher and the rest are just derivations.

No comments: